- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss apples and cranberries together in a 9x13-inch glass baking dish.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, using a pastry cutter or two knives, blend together to resemble a coarse meal: salted butter, sugar, quick rolled oats, flour, baking powder, vanilla extract, spices, and sea salt.
- Stir in maple syrup and milk. The topping mixture will become somewhat sticky. Drop the cobbler mixture by the spoonfuls onto the apple/cranberry compote and pat down slightly. Sprinkle with sugar, if desired. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until apples are soft and topping has become golden.
- Whip cream with cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar until stiff. Serve atop warm cobbler and melt into the "comfort zone."
Round up some assistants and prepare the apples. Use Granny Smith, Cortland, or your family's favorite heirloom variety.
Apples and cranberries can be prepared up to 2 days in advance. Sprinkle with lemon juice, and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
As prepared, each serving contains 290 calories, 13g total fat, 45mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 40g total carbohydrate and 4g protein.