Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 1 loaf hearty, crusty bread such as sourdough, with plenty of air pockets and a thick crust
- 2 to 3 large cloves of garlic, peeled and split lengthwise
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Frontier® sea salt and Frontier® organic cracked black pepper to taste
- 10 to 12 ounces cold-smoked salmon, chopped*
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 shallots , peeled and julienned (or substitute ½ a small red onion)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons capers, strained
- ¼ teaspoon Frontier® organic white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Frontier® organic fenugreek seed
- 1 teaspoon Frontier® organic thyme
* This is the more moist type of smoked salmon, commonly referred to as Scottish smoked salmon, or its nearly identical version, lox. The hot smoked variety, more common in the Pacific northwest, is perfectly delicious for this purpose, but very different, and should be flaked rather than chopped.